Wednesday 31 August 2011

experiencing reality...

As you all know by now, i had reached the beautiful city of Dubai, picked up a nice job and also got admission into a reputed university.

While i waited for life to begin in this new fantasy world, i thought i'd might as well get to know the place a little better coz if was to live here, i'd have to adjust to the various complex lifestyles that people living here followed.

Before i ventured into the outside, i thought it would be wise for me to carry out a little research. I did not want to look like a completely lost soul wandering on the streets. After all, in today's times, Google had the details to every minute piece of information that i needed.

I got my stuff, and stepped out. The minute i set foot outside my building, it felt like i was being roasted in one of those giant ovens. The temperature was way above controllable. My belief is that is was definitely more that about 50 degrees centigrade. I got into the building in the same speed that i had stepped out.

This short roasting experience got me thinking again on weather or not i should take the risk of going out during the day time. Then i thought again, why the hell were taxi's for?!. i stepped out in style trying my best to stay calm in-spite of the scorching heat, waived out to an approaching taxi and off i was to explore my new habitat.

I must admit that during this exploration that i was set out on, my perspective towards the city did begin to change. The place was not so bad after all. I mean the work culture and way of life was perhaps not what i wanted but the place was good. I was not sure of how often i'd be able to visit these places of scenic beauty once i got into the grind but it felt good to see the marvels of human engineering and creativity.

While on the trip, i befriend-ed the cab driver who had lived a good 30-35 years of his life here. (Sad to think that all he did in 30 years of his life was drive people around in his cab!). i learnt from him that the king or ruler of Dubai, had this crazy passion to build the largest, tallest, longest and biggest of everything. He had built the longest bridge, had just built the tallest building, had constructed the widest road and was on the race to build i don't know what else.

The trip, in short, was good. I headed back into my apartment, went under the shower and whoa, what relief it was. After all that heat, the cold water from the shower felt like heaven.

I was certain to make a second trip outside later and this time maybe after sunset to explore Dubai under the street lights.  I had some nice supper that my mom prepared, checked my mail, logged into Facebook (like it was a ritual where i had to give my attendance once every day!) and then went under those cozy sheets for the night.

What lay ahead of me in the days to come would obviously be dealt with as it came. For now, Good Night! ;)

3 comments:

  1. the fact that u write as a common man whose writings reflect instances people can relate to gets one interested in reading your blog plus some funny instances, good work my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While on the trip, i befriend-ed the cab driver who had lived a good 30-35 years of his life here. (Sad to think that all he did in 30 years of his life was drive people around in his cab!).

    NO JOB IS BIG OR SMALL... u may be the king and making big structures in Dubai... but you may be less happy than the cab driver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mate,

      Apologies if I have in anyway offended your way of thinking.

      The blog was purely meant to be an illustration of what I went through in my years in dubai.

      Delete