Sunday 4 November 2012

India Calling..

This post comes as the result of an outburst of emotions as I prepare to head back to India on what will be known as my first official vacation since I joined work back in August 2011.

How the days converted into months and months into years, I didn't realize a damn thing!.

Here I am sitting at work, the back of my mind working like a bullet train on what and how ill spend these valuable vacation days.

I must admit though that the journey so far has been nothing less than memorable.

I still remember how I first stepped into the U.A.E, feeling all skeptical about working and living here.

The one thing that sunk into my system is this emotional attachment with my homeland. To be very honest, I'm not yet sure of whats causing this mixed feeling.

Is it the fact that I'll finally be returning as an N.R.I to meet old friends, or is it the sheer fact that i'll be officially off-duty for the next few weeks, I really do not know, and honestly, I really do not care!.

The life and stay here changed me in more ways than one. I started believing in myself, began understanding the importance of that B-Tech degree, realized the respect that I got just because I had the word Engineer stamped on my passport, learnt a lot about the various nationalities that lived in unison here, and last but not least, started to fall in love with my job.

I've survived the four seasons, understood the importance of the holy month of Ramadan twice, and lived through the various national celebrations.

To me, it means more than just words can describe.

My birthday is the one day in the whole year that i eagerly look forward to. This year, I made it big!. Traveled across international borders to celebrate this D-day.

Now I'm not trying to boast about anything but for an average Indian who has moved across to another country to work, small things like these make a huge impact. Definitely small, but the feeling of having that extra entry permit being stamped on my passport itself means a lot to me.

I know for a fact that this is just the beginning; that there will be more for me to learn and experience in the coming years of my existence, but what counts most is that I have now proudly survived one full cycle!.

I came in here a total stranger. The only people I knew were my family, two college mates and my boss.
One year down the lane and this place is like a second home.

I never could understand the difference between working in India and working here until i slowly began to see the difference in terms of lifestyle. Let me remind you, I came here a fresher, began working here without even knowing what I was supposed to be doing and gradually made an improvement through time.

For a guy like me who loves anything that has four wheels and a machine, laying hands on some beauties was more than just a dream come true. I haven't yet got my official driving licence but like they say, Inshallah, ill get that too with time.

Affording the latest gizmos, being picky about brands and making a saving of that salary are definitely some of the things that I would take a long time to do if I were in India.

Notwithstanding, the fact that I am now going back on that earned leave, with a chance to meet some old friends and relatives puts in this peculiar feeling of pride. A feeling that I'm going back a 'Somebody' rather than a 'Nobody'.

Perhaps everyone living and working here goes through the same phase, but for me, it will be something that I will make note of in my diary of life.

With just four more days and counting, the excitement just seems to be building up.

The tales that I will have to tell my friends back home will take more than just those few days of vacation.

Wherever I worked, the word holiday always struck a bell. Only this time, I'm already looking forward to getting back!

The only sad part is that instead of the full one month leave that I earn after working for an entire year without leave, I only get a two weeks break this time. The reason behind the short leave is obviously work but I'm not disappointed. I'm looking at it from another perspective; I get another two weeks off later; perhaps a foreign trip will suffice!.

What I do then is yet to be decided. For now, its India calling!.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ashwin...

    This is regardong what less you think of India, and people working here... i think you have not visited india for a long long long time.. to make such comments.. trust me a lot of us who work here are doing the samethings as you are doing....

    A lets not forget how judgemental you are about both the contries..



    "Affording the latest gizmos, being picky about brands and making a saving of that salary are definitely some of the things that I would take a long time to do if I were in India.
    Just imagine, I'm living in an apartment that costs like 3.5 lacs a yr!!. My roommate drives a car that comes on a rent that costs about 20K a month!.
    Seems like a lot of money!. Doesn't it!. Well thats just a taste of how the Dubai life can change you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mate,

      I'm surprised and at the same time shocked to see how you have reacted to this blog..

      Please be assured that I have nothing against India or the life style that people follow.

      What I write about is from the point of view of a guy who never dreamt of doing the things he is able to do today.

      Perhaps if i had stayed in India for this long, my experience may have been completely different!

      Last but not least, I certainly appreciate the fact that you feel so strongly about what I write. i shall definitely try and be 'non judgemental' as you quoted in the posts to come..

      happy reading!..

      Delete
  2. OMG just because you could not make it india .. or be a big man in india or get a job india... u suddenly feel that inidia has nothing to offer ...

    this is riduclous.

    How about asking yourself why you could nt get a job in your own country...

    and you know wht the worse things is you actually are judgemental about the Uae and India.. as someone mentioned above..

    and do you think when you come back to india and boast about yourself here... people are going to treat you like God... they are not..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mate,

      Similar to the guy/girl who posted just before you, I believe you certainly have got the wrong message.

      To get my story right, please read the earlier posts.

      To state a very straight fact...how many people do you know who graduate from an un-heard-of college, struggle for 8 yrs before getting a degree and still manages to pick up a job that offers 60K as a starting package! (mind you...all this with zero technical knowledge)

      And for the part of people looking up to me as god...where in the world did you get that idea?!!...I only mentioned about wanting to tell my friends back home of the life I had here!..jeez man...grow up!

      Delete
  3. Dont mate me

    Come to India.. see the ampount young entrepreneur we have here..
    no one asks them wht college wht degree.. they made everyone belive they culd make a diffrence ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm..

      Interesting to realize how much of a man you really are!

      You speak so highly of India and about the dreams and aspirations that people such as yourself have, but it seems you yourself are not man enough to speak about it with your real name!

      And a note for you; I could call you scumbag or some daring adjective but being the man that I am, I preferred to be a little, just a little decent in my approach..

      cheers!...

      Delete